The goal of the University's Research Safety Program is carried out by:
- defining research safety responsibilities for all members of the research community;
- establishing a cadre of well-trained and empowered research safety officers located within colleges and departments;
- providing central research safety support and oversight through the Department of Environmental Health and Safety and the Office of the Vice President for Research;
- providing a safe physical research environment; and
- complying with all relevant environment, health and safety regulations.