Initial training of operators must include the following topics:
- Operating and emergency procedures
- Significance of radiation warning signs, devices and interlocks
- Identification of hazards associated with operation
- Recognition and symptoms of overexposure
- Procedures for reporting actual or suspected overexposure.
This training must be completed and documented prior to operating any equipment that produces ionizing radiation. The Radiation Protection Division has produced a series of informational guides for the various types of equipment used at the University. The guides contain the necessary training information and forms that may be used to document this training.
All operators must also complete the on-line training module, Radiation Safety for Radioactive Material Users, and x-ray diffraction operators must view the video tape "Double Edge Sword", available at University libraries, the Department of Environmental Health & Safety, or at most x-ray diffraction facilities.