Campuses: Twin Cities | Crookston | Duluth | Morris | Rochester | Other Locations

Home > Regulated Waste > Controlled Substances Disposal

Controlled Substances Disposal

Transfer Documentation

All registrants transferring controlled substances must complete a Controlled Substance Disposal Form. One form should be prepared for each collection of controlled substance containers to be transferred. It is important to include the DEA Registrant number. If you do not have a DEA Registrant number, indicate "unknown" or "abandoned" on the form instead.  Email ( one copy of the completed form to UHS. Include your name, department, phone number and location (building and room number) to facilitate the transfer. UHS will contact you to schedule the transfer.

Disposal of Excess Controlled Substances in Syringes:

Researchers who have excess controlled substances in syringes after a research procedure are required to collect the excess in a slurry bottle and document the contents of the slurry bottle on a Controlled Substance Disposal Form. Use the same procedure as above to initiate collection. Do not use a syringe to remove the unused contents of a vial and collect in a slurry bottle. The unused substance in a vial should be transferred using the procedure described in the previous section. In order to obtain a slurry bottle, contact UHS (612-626-1604 or

If you have questions please contact UHS at 612-626-1604 or