Campuses: Twin Cities | Crookston | Duluth | Morris | Rochester | Other Locations

Home > Environmental Compliance > Wastewater Discharges

Wastewater Discharges

In accordance to the Waste Discharge Rules for the Metropolitan Disposal System, discharging industrial waste into the sanitary sewer may require a facility to obtain an Industrial Discharge Permit. Discharging contaminated groundwater to the sanitary sewer requires a Special Discharge Permit. These permits are issued by the Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES), a local government agency that maintains a program to regulate the use of sewers, enforces applicable standards and requirements, and charges for services and activities necessary to carry out its obligations under federal and state law.

Industrial waste is defined as "any solid, liquid or gaseous wastes, excluding domestic waste, resulting from any industrial, manufacturing, commercial, institutional or business activity, or from the development, recovery, or processing of a natural resource. Any waste that is transported by a liquid waste hauler and disposed into public sewers is industrial waste. Any leachate or contaminated groundwater disposed into public sewers is industrial waste."

The University currently holds two Industrial Discharge Permits and one Special Discharge Permit. These permits are subject to the following conditions: