Using DEA Form 222 to Order Schedule I and II Drugs
When the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) grants the Unit Registrant permission to use Schedule I or II (C-I or C-II) drugs they will send DEA Form 222 order forms.
The Unit Registrant** is responsible for securing the Forms 222 and retaining the executed and unexecuted forms. The Unit Registrant should make a list of the unique form numbers and record the date when each is used. Do NOT sign a Form 222 before the form is completed. The Form 222 is equivalent to a prescription pad.
**In the absence of the Unit Registrant use the Power of Attorney form to execute the Form 222.
To complete a Form 222:
- Complete the name and address information at the top using the DEA certificate address.
- Enter name, size and quantity of controlled substance(s). The pharmacy will enter the National Drug Code.
- Enter last line completed.
- Unit (DEA) Registrant sign and date at the bottom.
- Remove the back Purchaser's copy (blue) of the triplicate form before taking the Form 222 to the pharmacy. The pharmacy will keep both of the copies you give them.
When you return to the laboratory with the controlled substances, check the order to be sure you received what you ordered. Write a complete entry in your controlled substances disposition records for each controlled substance you received. Lock the controlled substances in the safe.
On the blue copy of the DEA Form 222, complete the two columns on the right side with quantity and date received. Make a copy of this completed Form 222 for the registrant's records. Keep the original blue copy with the inventory records at the safe location.
Using DEA Form 222 to transfer Schedule II Drugs
To transfer a C-II controlled substance, like sodium pentobarbital, between laboratories, a DEA Form 222 order form is required. The receiving party must have a DEA Form 222. One laboratory is the "supplier", acting like a pharmacy. The receiving lab must "order" the sodium pentobarbital from the supplier using their DEA Form 222. The DEA Form 222 triplicate copies are distributed as follows:
- Top Supplier's copy stays in the supplier Unit Registrant's records
- Middle DEA copy must be mailed to the Minneapolis DEA office
- Bottom Purchaser's copy stays in the receiving Unit Registrant's records kept at the safe location.